#53 Why You Love Graph Paper

#53 Why You Love Graph Paper

Est. Reading Time: 2 minutes
Hey Friends,
thought that I would share with you some of my little tricks of the business. All you need is a graph paper notebook, graph paper background, graph paper journal, or whatever they call it. I just call it “Graph Paper“. ðŸ™‚
I love being analytical in so many ways. I recently started focusing on my goals a lot more than than usual I suppose and well, I have come to the conclusion that to see results, one must be analytical about the situation. I guess I can blame my college education for getting me thinking in an analytical way, but I took it upon myself to apply it to my own life.
In order to see results, like I mentioned earlier, one must literally draw a graph from point A to point B. I think we all know how to draw a simple graph. Think of a time when you drove “x” amount of miles in your car…okay? Now, think about the amount of days in a month. Usually, most months are between 29 and 31 days. Hence, if you called the x-axis days and the y axis your odemeter reading from your car, then you would be able to plot a series of points throughout the month to reach what would appear to look like a line graph.
This rollercoaster of a line graph, essentially, shows you where or what days you are driving the most; because the increase -in odometer-can either be dramatic or mellow…right? The nice thing about a line graph is you can see where the line jumps-so-to-speak spuradically. The spuradic points tell you kind-of-sort-of what days you were doing something to cause that spuradic change.
These line graphs are very useful in my professional life as well as my personal life. I use these analytical graphs for the following reasons:
  • Pushup Counts per day
  • Sleep I get each day (so I don’t go over 9 hours)
  • Steps I take each day (too be greater than 10,000 steps)
  • Data usuage that I use on my phone
  • Amount of studying I do per day
  • etc. etc. etc.
You can probably guess that there is something in common with all of these graphs. Yes! They ALL HAVE NUMBERS associated with the goal. Now you are getting it. That right there is the secret to my success at such an early age. I measure just about everything from the amount of time it takes me to finish a meal, to the distance I travel in my car. I track the amount of time for virutally everything you can think of. Why though? Well, because I understand the importance of goals and accountability. Also, I understand that one simple claim…”What gets measured, gets managed” or “What gets measured, gets done”. How ever you want to look at it the point is clear: Measuring goals improves performance.
You too can begin to start  analyizing your day to day goals!

Comments

Popular Posts